Monday, November 05, 2007

LOCK DOWN

On the way to school one morning last week John told me a story that really made me sad. It almost made me cry. He said, "I guess you remember how to do a lock down practice?" I said no I don't think we did those when I was in school. He said, "It's when they close all the blinds in our room, turn off the lights, lock our door and we all get on the floor and cover our heads. In case there is a bad man, like someone who would rob a bank or shoot people comes to our school." My heart just dropped. I said, "oh, have you practiced this yet or are you going to?" He said, "We've already practiced it. I sure hope that never happens." I said, "Yeah, me too." It's hard to believe that we've come to a place in the world where we have to practice these kind of drills in Six Mile. Don't get me wrong I'm sure glad they do practice them but it still makes me sad...and it makes me feel for the parents who have lost their kids in school shootings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS very sad that our children have to even know what "lock down" means isn't it? What has the world come to?? It truly is a fallen world without Jesus. I pray that our children never have to experience a lock down.

Anonymous said...

These drills have been regular routine for at least 10 years. They are not new so don't feel shocked. I'm glad that you are aware of it though. Probably a better orientation for parents is way overdue in the US.

John, Alex and Luke

John, Alex and Luke
Captured by The Beautiful Mess